After being on lockdown for over a year, you may be looking to join a gym. The American College of Sports Medicine has provided Information on “Selecting the Right Fitness Facility For You”
Prior to joining a health/fitness facility, you are encouraged to identify your major fitness and exercise goals. With fitness objectives established, start visiting fitness facilities that are easy access for you and your family (if you are seeking a family fitness membership). The fitness club should have a variety of exercise equipment and fitness programs to meet your personal health and wellness interests.
Before joining, visit several facilities prior to making your decision. Take advantage of a trial membership before investing your hard earned money. Take a tour of the club making note of the cleanliness of the gym, observe the group classes, watch the personal trainers in action. First impressions are important. You will be spending a lot of time in your gym as you pursue your health and fitness goals.
Consider the following:
- Does the facility offer the type of group exercise classes you are seeking and are there additional fees involved?
- Does the facility have the type of equipment you want to use and is there a variety of modern equipment in clean and operating condition.
- Do certified exercise professionals develop personal exercise programs and help you achieve your fitness goals?
- What are the rates of hiring a personal trainer?
- Are there sufficient professional staff on site helping the members?
- Are the fitness facility staff, personal trainers and class instructors friendly and helpful?
Making an informed decision can help you choose a fitness facility that meets your needs. Selecting a facility with professional and qualified staff, state-of-the-art equipment and a variety of programs is a sound investment of your money and in your health.
Click on the link to check out the ACSM’s Information on “Selecting the Right Fitness Facility for You” in this printable brochure: