Follow these 7 Suggestions to create a healthy eating pattern. Evidence shows that consuming a balanced diet over time reduces the risk of developing chronic diseases such as: type II diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, and high cholesterol.
How to create a healthy eating pattern:
1) Choose vegetables from different subgroups – dark green, red and orange, legumes (beans and peas), starchy, and other
2) Consume the whole fruit versus fruit juice
3) Half or more of grains should come from whole grains
4) Choose low-fat or fat-free dairy products
5) A variety of proteins should be consumed including lean meats and poultry, eggs, seafood, nuts, seeds, soy products and legumes
6) Healthy fats and oils should be substituted for those containing saturated fat and/or trans fat
7) Research shows that a healthy eating pattern limits saturated fats and trans fats, added sugars, and sodium.
ACSM information on…”Creating a Healthy Eating Plan”